Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Bookish Choice

Books in the Douglasville, Georgia Borders store.
Books in the Douglasville, Georgia Borders store. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I am glad I reached till here. So, following is the description for the Daily Prompt and after reading it I realised there cannot be more coincidence in this World.

A literary-minded witch gives you a choice: with a flick of the wand, you can become either an obscure novelist whose work will be admired and studied by a select few for decades, or a popular paperback author whose books give pleasure to millions. Which do you choose?

As I wrote at the beginning, this particular daily prompt seemed so much for me. Firstly, the literary-minded fairy part seemed me only. Well, I have witch-like qualities and I am literary-minded, though I do not know if both the qualities combined will make me a literary-minded witch, but I do feel so that I am one.

So, now moving on to the prompt part. If given an option to select one amongst the choices of either being an obscure novelist not known to many or to be a famous paperback writer devoured by all, I would have a clear cut subscription towards the not-so-known author who is applauded and revered by a niche group of readers.

I urge to not be judged as being under-ambitious, or being considered someone who looks down upon the writers who publish the paperbacks. I am fine being an obscure novelist read by a select few readers whose books come out in paperback. I would like to state that I as an writer would love to be understood and heard read read as someone who knows her craft well and does not do stuff to please people in order to get rich and famous.

I know I might be sounding somewhat sarcastic here, but neither I intend to state that paperback writers write to just earn riches and prime time shows; nor am I saying that such writers involve in strategies and focus more on being an author-entrepreneur rather than an author.

No, no; all I am trying to say is I would want to be understood by few than being just bought, half-bought, or half-read by a lot many. I want to write to be heard, heard for the stories that I have in my mind, brought to a reader through my flair of juxtaposing of appropriate phrases and words.

I do not know what I believe in is correct or not; but I believe it is, because all that I know for sure is "the number of pages read is not similar to the number of copies sold".