Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Tiger

ek-tha-tiger-preparation
ek-tha-tiger-preparation
I had been bubbling with excitement since the time I had heard about the making of the Ek Tha Tiger. And why I should not have been. It is my favourite actor's film. It is Sallu's movie after all. It is a kind of tradition with me to watch all his movies on the very first day of their release, and luckily this time I happened to watch it bang on the first day first show. I had pre-booked the ticket, but owing to the fear that I may not be able to get a ticket pre-booked for the D-day, I also booked another cheap ticket as a back-up. So, for the today's show I had 2 tickets for 2 different theaters at the same time. Naturally, I landed up watching the one which was more expensive, the Red Lounge of Cinemax and chucked the cheap Fame Cinemas one.

Also, I had prepared myself well for the movie a week in advance; as in I had my Sallu bracelet ready, and I had my whistles too. I am not good at whistling frequently, so I had asked my husband to get me one. He being a helpful and proactive person got me 2. His gesture made me realise that both of us are so similar when it comes to keeping a back-up. LOL

I used my back-up strategy with the alarms also. I used mine as well as my husband's cell to set an alarm to wake up early at 7 am. Luckily I got up at 7:30 am and rushed to make a breakfast of Sago cutlets, the batter for which I had prepared the previous night.

They took about 10 minutes to get shallow fried and then I dressed into my jeans and T-shirt and left at about 8:15 from my house. I took the bus and reached the auto-joint. Just by chance I got into the one which had adorned the inside walls of the vehicle with Ek Tha Tiger posters of both Katrnia and Salman Khan. When I told the driver to take me to Cinemax, he took the liberty of enquiring if I was going in for the same movie's first day first show. I answered him in affirmative and asked him why he did not go for the same, considering he seemed to be a big fan of them. He politely told me that he could not because of Ramadan. I felt sorry for him and moved on.

After reaching my destination, I had a difficult time at the booking counter. The kids at the counter were just not able to locate my booking. In a moment of despair I even thought that I misread the movie hall as Cinemarc instead of Cienmax probably, and was wondering whether I should take an auto-rickshaw to Cinemarc or go to Fame where I already had a spare ticket booked. But luckily the kids got intelligent and gave me the paper ticket, and they looked surprised doing that. I understood that they could not imagine a single woman watching a first day first show with such enthusiasm.

Landing at the movie hall, I just pulled my chair back, held out the rest flaps below my feet and rested my legs on it. After few of those numerously repeated Vicco turmeric advertisements, I finally got intimate with my Sallu and his Ek Tha Tiger.

And the moment Sallu made his entry, I took out one of my whistle and blew a large one. And everyone including the "dude" appearing college kids turned back to glance at me. I whistled again when I got goose bumps watching Sallu doing a back slide on stairs while sitting on a cart. And this time all the educated co-audience asked me to not to do that. I was like what?? why?? this is a Sallu movie and that too on a first day first show. I was not like hooting or shouting profane remarks, I was just whistling. But since I was more interested in watching Sallu, I did not indulge in a conversation, and kept my whistle back in my bag.

Now coming to the story, well like all his movies it was not there. A simple boy meets a simple girl, and falls in love with her. Initially she refrains, but then she too indulges hesitatingly. And then the character actors around the 2 curb their love heaven; but that makes their love intense instead of its minification.

But the USP of this one is of course Sallu, and to a smaller extent the leading lady Ms. Kaif; and the larger than life action sequences delivered both from Sallu and Katrina. Yes, it was hailing to watch an actress doing such lively stunts with such panache. Indeed they were lovely, cause they were neither over-dramatized or to that matter over-glamorized. The scene where she strongly holds on to her shoulder bag while being robbed by the local goons was something that remained in my memory for a long time. Further talking about the other characters, Ranvir Shorey and Girish Karnad; along with the cinematography were good and made good accompaniments to the entire fun element of the movie. Coming to think of it, there was no item number or no romantic song in the movie and not even a kiss or smooch or the quintessential bikini; all in all there were just 2-3 songs; 2 in between and one at the time of closing credentials. So, the movie is only going to run on the true asset of the star value of the leading man.

The entire movie spoke about the difference between India and its troublesome neighborhood country; the fact that is deep-rooted in our real life too. Though I find all that baseless and over-exaggerated, I have always found Pakistanis a very good hosts and friendly people who love Indians, this comes from my experience of dealing with about 10-15 of them. I would leave that discussion there only, and I move on to the movie.

After the movie I went to have brunch with my husband at our usual eatery in the city. The owner of the eatery happens to be our friend and out of concern he advised me not to watch a movie on a day when it is more likely that most of the Muslims would not be outside but inside their houses. It is because the Pakistani terrorists cleverly plan terrorist activity on those days to kill maximum Hindus. I gulped my delicious cheese topped Omelet along with those pearls of wisdom from a devout Indian Muslim and felt my Ek Tha Tiger moment in real.


1 comment:

  1. another salaman masala movie. Though salaman always runs the movie on his shoulder, katrina did excellant stunt scenes. Salaman is rocking. Cinemeatography & stunt scenes are outstanding. I liked the movie it is full of entertainemnt. I enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete