Saturday, June 1, 2013

The overdose of co-branding

I know this movie released yesterday, and I think it is a hit. The television channels have been showing the rushes of the movie every 10 minutes, and yeah going by the lead cast and the energy bursting out of them, the movie does look an intersting one.

I also like all that joyous, colourful burst of energy, but what I really get distracted is by the flow of advertising that flows along with this peppy rom-com. Of course, it is just not possible to watch Ranbir or Deepika without either Makemytrip, Pond's, Nokia Lumia, Parachute Hair Oil, or Jabong.com being flashed on your screens. (Pardon me if I missed any)

I do not know what made these brands to co-brand with the movie. Do the advertisers really think people will buy those products because they are being tied with the movie.

Really these companies think we as consumers are so dumb??

Because if we scratch our head a bit, then we realize that it was not so long ago that we witnessed Ms. Padukone selling BB Garnier cream. And a little before that she was selling Maybelline cosmetics.

Oh yeah, I do agree that the only product that she endorses both in the movie trailer and otherwise also is the Parachute Hair Oil.

OK, I agreed with that one, but then why exactly the Pond's scrub that claims to remove tan is associated with the leading lady in the movie? Even if the HUL brand has co-branded with the movie producers, would not it have been more intelligent to replace the other lady Ms. Koechlin in the fairness inducing product??

On the other hand, the apparel online retailer is selling the wardrobe of the stars in the movie. I liked that concept of mimicking what the stars wear in order to become at least half as good looking as them. So, I thought of sourcing the same deep blue sari that Deepika drapes in the signature "badatmeez" song of the movie. But believe it or not, I searched the entire site, left right and centre, but I just could not find it, and how depressed and cheated I felt after that. Sigh....

Hope some of us understood the conniving ways of thrusting consumerism...