Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Of Turbans and Hits

I know that there is a new good looking movie coming to the Indian theaters in probably 2 days from now.

It is called Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.  It is based on the life and career of the first famous sports person of our country Sir Milkha Singh. That is indeed great, but what intrigues me is the lead hero Farhan Akhtar donning a turban. Oh yes, he has to since he is portraying the character of a person who is a turban wearing Sikh in real life. O.K I get it.

Going by the initial release of the movie in London, the movie seems to be a big hit already. Great I get it.

But not a long time ago, I saw Sharukh Khan wearing a turban and selling a toothpaste brand. Was that advertisement also a success? I do not know, but the particular brand that he was endorsing is already a success. So, could have been a successful stint for Mr. SRK to wear a turban. Great!Wonderful!

I think before that I saw Ranbir Kapoor wearing a turban and selling computers under a pseudonymous organization while working for an employee during the day and serving his personal clients during the night. Oh boy he did look cute in those yellow turbans. Oh so cute !!!
sardarji-farhan-akhtar
sardarji-farhan-akhtar
                              

If I am not wrong I have seen Amir Khan selling TATA SKY set-top boxes while wearing a lose turban that my husband wears on Sundays or any other day when he does not go out and get formally social. I have heard that that particular series of Amir Khan - Sardarji advertisements were a big hit. That is indeed awesome. Good job.


Hmm how come that particular Khan with the first name Saif can be left behind in a flurry to look turbaned? Of course, how can I forget the oh-so-romantic Love Aaj Kal which had Saif wearing a really tight turban and wooing a Brazilian beauty. I cannot help not mentioning that his antics were just like some Sardar’s. The way he touched his turban whenever he got embarrassed made me his fan for few minutes. Must say his research was up to the mark. Impressive indeed!!

Hmmm, by the way, was that Salman Khan whom I saw who also wore a lose turban and was driving tractors in the fields of Punjab, with some woman who now looks heavyily botoxed and is normally found on IPL grounds working as an upgraded cheer leader?? Yes, that was indeed Mr. Sallu, and I was taken in for a surprise. But I think that movie was not a hit, but still Sallu you tried really well. I did think it was some actor from Punjabi movies who got lucky in having a Bollywood debut. LOL

Yeah, there were others too who tried to cash on some hits while wearing a turban, but were not successful. Like the cutie pie Arshad Warsi and the suave Kunal Kapoor. But I think they could not make it to the hit list, may be because they did not serve as the pivotal characters in the projects where they donned a turban.

But I get confused as to where did it all start? Was it the oh so hit Singh is King and the
Akshay Kumar in jazzy coloured turbans and not to forget a lot of moolahs in his bank account that created this trend?? Could be, I do not know.

But what I do know is that you have to have wear a turban to get a hit…..LOL