Wednesday, August 1, 2012

major mousse craving

This love of mine started on the next day of my birthday, 5th of July. I had my first day of the dental surgery that was supposed to be done since eons, and I was postponing it for no particular reason. But since it started on that very day, so I was there with half of my mouth stuck with incisions and stitches.

That very day one of my acquaintances happened to invite me over for a dinner, as a token of birthday gift for me. That was really sweet of her, although I do not like her at all, and also it was a dining invitation which I can never refuse, so with half of my mouth servicing, I went ahead for the invitation.

Because of my impaired eating, I was left with the only option of having pastas, since the food joint happened to be a continental one. I had had 2 pastas, one in red and the other in white gravy, but still they did nothing much to cease my hunger. So, then I moved on to the desserts, and my eyes glanced over that day's special : Mango Mousse. I was just about to order it but my host ranted about the possibility of it being made with eggs. Yeah, since that host was a vegetarian, I was forced to have everything vegetarian, and since I do not like her much, I complied with her non-verbal demands, since I was resisting getting into an argument with her.

Though seeing my irritation, something went over her and she asked one of the waiters to confirm its origins. I was glad when he said that it was vegetarian. Though my happiness reached another height when that lady being skeptical of the waiter and his knowledge refrained from even tasting the dessert. Voila...

I ended up licking up the entire mousse to its last very speck on the bowl in which it was served, and I felt truly blessed. My painful memories of having undergone a dental surgery in the early part of the day had all vanished with the sweet taste of the mousse.

Though the only problem after that was that my love for it transformed into a lust. I could not go to the place again for the same, as that particular mousse was that day's special and was unlikely to be repeated soon. The other food joints that I know of do not serve anything in mousse except for chocolate ones, which I am not particulrly interested in. So, since that day I started my quest for making it at home, I tried all that I could and came up with a fairly simple recipe for it. It is as follows:

1. 350 ml milk
2. 50 g china grass
3. 30 g custard powder
4. 30g sugar
5. 100 g mango pulp

chocolate mousse made in a hurry to accompany this post
Boil the milk and when it starts bubbling, mix in the sugar, custard powder and the china grass. Keep stirring continuously till the mixture becomes thick, it could take about 5 minutes for the mixture to thicken. Then finally add the mango pulp, keep stirring it under the fire for another 2 minutes and then place the mixture into the mousse bowls. Let the mousse stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then place the bowl in the refrigerator to set. It should take about 2 hours for it to set well, and then you are done.

Though as a special note remember to melt the china grass in luke warm milk if it is not in a powdered form. Also be sure of the bowls that you use to set the mousse in, cause I broke one of my glass bowl from my dinner set due to the temperature difference issues. Also, you can use any other fruit instead of mango, or you can use a tablespoon of cocoa powder or even make the mousse without any flavour.

Thanks to this simple recipe I am enjoying my favourite dessert at the comfort of my home and not with people with whom I am forced to socialize....

P. S: Guys do not miss out the dramatic caramalization ....lol