Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Post Ladies Coupe

I first heard about this one about 9 years back. A good friend of mine had this book and was about to lend me, but that handing over of the book never happened, cause after sometime during those days, we both lost touch with each other. It was I who actually severed the ties with him due to some stupid, nonsensical girlish reason. And, I guess I got punished for that folly of mine by getting to read this classic so later in life. I picked up this one from the Landmark book store's last sale, from the ever popular twitch of buying 3 for 2 books. That ways I feel intelligent in paying up just 70% of the price, if all the three books happen to be of the similar price range.

Getting back to the book, well I am afraid thinking as to which kind of a woman will not like this one. Though, every woman is a unique individual apart from being just a woman. Any woman irrespective of whether belonging to a prosperous nation or to a third World one; of being born into a rich household or a poor; being born orphan or into a well sheltered family; being single or married; being married or divorced, being a mother or not having any issues; or classified in any other classification will be able to find moments of truth in this book.

I truly admired the writer's craft; the sensitive eye to detailing emotions, situations, paradoxes, and even food is par excellence. The story revolves around a 45 year old single South Indian woman Akhila who is all tired and battered with her life of living alone and providing for her selfish family. She has held back feeling anything that has got to do with her own happiness, that includes her choice of food, style of living, and even the man in her life. Her every thoughts and actions are guided by their implications on her family, society and everyone else, except herself. So one fine day, when she goes completely berserk, she gets her friend to help her in buying a one-way ticket to Kanyakumari and sets off for the journey all alone; something that is forbidden as a woman to do.

All the women touched Akhila with their stories and instilled in wisdom of experience in her which changed her into a completely different person. She was the last one amongst them all to get off the train and by the time she reached her destination, she found a stark change in herself. She felt she had developed an appetite for food; she wanted to try different food, wanted to speak to strangers, was perfectly comfortable being her and no longer cared for what her own family, people, strangers or anyone else thought about her. Happiness came as something natural to her and not as a derivative of any human relation or any action that is universally accepted as a motif of happiness. Moreover, she started indulging in pleasures as if they were naturally connected to her. She had developed that I do not give a damn attitude and that became a strong component in her DNA from then on. In fact, it grew so much in her that on the last day of her trip she ended up calling up her yesteryear flame with the panache that could come only to a person who is comfortable and confident under his/her own skin. And why she would not have done that, because she finally had got the real truthful answer to her big controversial question.

The settings of the story in locations were perfectly apt for the story. Like for instance, Kanyakumari happens to be the last railway station down South of India. It echoed it with the protagonist’s last retort to her life. Once reaching there she embraced life and went back fulfilled and full of life; the very way any tourist would after visiting the picturesque and calm Kanyakumari.
This book is a must read, and a must must if you are a feminist. Also, in the final bit of the fiction, the transformed Akhila was much like me. Now I know why most of the people find me so absurd, and on the other hand many confide in me that they always wish to be like me, both men and women. And to be frank, if I am asked the same question, my answer is and will always be:

"I do not need a man, but his love to survive happily."  

P.S: Now I am about to do an unfinished business. I am going to look out for that friend who had acquainted me with the book, and yes with whom I had misbehaved. This book made me realize that I have to do this sooner or later.


5 comments:

  1. Hello, I simply wanted to take time to make a comment and say I have really enjoyed reading your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review man! Looks to be an interesting book. Shall read it soon. I did buy the book a yr. back...but haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Now is the best time to read a book, any book for that matter.

    ReplyDelete