Sunday, January 12, 2014

The myth of a Strong Woman

Bollywood & Beyond
Bollywood & Beyond (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I do not know why the term 'Strong Woman' makes me uncomfortable. I am called by that term innumerable times and to admit it honestly, I do not like to be aliased by that particular term at all. All my life I have displayed feats of bravery; and have fought all the battles with strength and grace. But typically that should not imply me to be a strong woman, though a strong person or an individual/ human being would do.

The reason I say so is because  all my life I have gathered a rather twisted image of the people who are termed as strong women. If I get to describe any one from my personal sphere, then any one of you reading this post would not be able to relate to them. So, I will name a popular person who comes close to the description of a strong woman from my perspective; that will put the point that I am trying to make in a vivid perspective.

The lady in connection happens to be Tanuja Mukherjee. I am sure if any one of you is aware of the yesteryear stars from the Bollywood, then you would know for sure as to why I get to name this particular lady as a strong woman.

Firstly, she is someone who comes across as a stuck up bitch to the core. I know that for sure that I do not know her as a person, but as to whatever I observe from the media and secondary information available on the internet, she comes across as a woman who always wanted to have the reins in her hand and never missed a chance to pull it to make the ones tied to it feel the bounds strung to them.

As far as I know, she married someone with whom she wanted to get married to. Then, she got separated from him when she wanted to, and also took both her daughters along with her. She also claims vehemently that she allowed her children to interact and be with their father on a simple condition that after that she would not allow the children to enter her house. Sounds cool...sounds much like a strong  woman. She also inculcated to her daughters that their father was not a wonderful husband, but was an amazing father.

If the figures on the gossip magazines are to be believed, then she stayed separated from her spouse - Mr. Shomu Mujherjee for more than 2 decades. But surprisingly, she cried her heart out and her emotions were free flowing at the time of his death. I remember seeing her overwhelmed pictures of weeping profusely by the side of a pillar and being absolutely unnerved of the confusing difference of personality that she was portraying then. Simply put to words, at that time she did not look anywhere close to the persona of a strong woman that she is believed to be.       

That is completely understandable from a human point of view, but the logic in me fails to believe it. I cannot understand how come a woman who is strong, independent, extensively traveled and well read as her expect her daughter to follow her instructions to the T. How can a strong woman constantly instruct her 35 year old daughter to be told what to do in her love life. How can she force her to leave the country just because she does not approve of her relationship. How how how??

Till the time I do not get the answers to such questions, I get busy shunning off the notion that I am a strong woman. No, I am not and do not want to be a strong woman.     

P.S: A lot of data is pulled from the current season 7 of Bigg Boss.


Enhanced by Zemanta