Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Review of Online Retailer - Jabong

I recall it was about 2-3 years back when I once got stuck at Andheri-Jogeshwari flyover for about half an hour during one of the hot afternoons of summer. During those 30 minutes of no-movement inside the cab, I had nothing much to do except for looking around at others who were also stuck like me there. People in all sorts of vehicles - Mercedes, Jaguars, Honda City and good old Fiat Padmini, were all travelling at same pace and were stuck together irrespective of where they came from and where they were headed to. By observing that scenario I struck with the moment of truth that no matter how and where a person lands up on this Earth, but ultimately he/she has to get stuck somewhere with a lot many others of different economic backgrounds. To be honest, I really felt that I learned a lot during that half an hour of congestion.

In between this period of understanding social anthropology, I had no idea that I would also learn a lot about changing trends in Indian shopping scenario. So my second learning of the day was that a lot of people shop online through Jabong.com. Like the first learning, this one also came from the same old traffic only. In-between those plethora of vehicles, there were frequent motor-bikes travelling with pillion guys carrying parcels of JABONG. Initially after observing 2-3 of those motor-biked courier delivery men I assumed that they must have been part of a single shipment travelling together. But sooner I got to know that my assumption was simply based out of plain ignorance. Obviously, I then kept on noticing a lot of JABONG men travelling to and fro delivering the parcels to their respective recipients.  

Escaping the traffic, and after escaping the busy life of Mumbai I reached back to my city of Vadodara. Yes, my same old #damndrystate. Once home, I started my research on this JABONG. Once there online on it, I was amazed with the chunk of products available on it. I do agree that there are few other competitive brands offering similar service, but if I have to get into a thread-bare analysis with the perks and services I look for, then definitely JABONG will stand out from the crowd.

As any one close to me can vouch that I am a complete non-shopaholic. So, I did not shop as in shop with them much, though I did buy 2 silver rings from them. That was then, but recently they contacted me to review their site and gifted a voucher to do so. Again me being me, I just could not bring myself to shop and I hence did not realize when the voucher actually reached its date of expiry. Again me being me, I forgot about the whole thingy till the sweet people at JABONG again got in touch to know if I did use that voucher. I told them the truth and they were really sweet to extend the life of the voucher. I then did shop from them and surprisingly I did buy a dress for myself.

To let out a fact, I am a dress person. I have a huge collection of dresses, but all have been from stores in the U.S. I have always believed that good dresses are only from phoren stores. May be that is the reason I never ventured into searching them on any stores in India, be it online or offline. But this recent gift from JABONG made me venture into that territory as well.

I checked out their collection and to begin enlisting my observations - they do have a huge collection of dresses. With prices ranging from less than 300 INR to well above 30,000 INR, they have more than 6000 SKUs in dresses at any point of time. I have listed few of the features of the site which helped me with my purchasing decision, which are apparently absent in the competitor websites.

1. More inventory. For dresses - 6679, the nearest competitor offers 5123.

2. Classification on Dress type - For me a Peplum dress is a sub-set of DRESS. I cannot wear a
    similar dress style for all occasions. Thankfully JABONG caters to the dress-informed people like
    me. So, it was easy for me to use their site to find a Maxi-dress for myself. By the way, such an
    advanced feature is rarely found in other online stores.

3. Classification on Occasion type - I was thrilled to see a classification on Occasion for dresses.
    That is one feature that can be of use to people who are not much acquainted with the process of
    buying dresses irrespective of an online or offline mode. I simply checked the WORK option under
    Occasion and voila I had all the dresses as per my search criteria specified. 

4.  C.O.D. - It sounds like nothing if one is paying by digital money, but it matters a lot if one is not
     so sure on their shopping skills. Considering women and their shopping, it is much of a possibility
     that bought products could be returned. Yes, JABONG provides that option which is majorly
     absent for many of the small towns in our country.

5. Free Shipping - Now who does not want a free shipping. But if a site tells you that the minimum
    you need to order is 499 INR, you are bound to get irritated. I mean what is the point buying a
    dress for 399 INR and then look for something else for another 100 INR to get qualified for free
    shipping. Luckily JABONG does not tie to buy with such tricks. On the other hand, they
    simply ask for 2 products site-wide, irrespective of their price. So, one can enjoy free shipping
    even if their order is less than 499 INR.

So, I went ahead after my thorough research on the site and ended up buying a nice little dress which eventually turned out free for me as I was gifted a 500 INR voucher by them. I wanted some work wear sturdy garment in a dress that would cover up much and still be defined a DRESS. I am happy with my purchase and here I post a few pictures of me in it.

* Pictures are attached in chronological order

That is how the Package looked

Perfectly Packaged Consignment

Packed Dress Inside
 

The Lining and the Zipper of the Dress

I had to include myself wearing it


Overall, I had a fun time shopping and using the product that I bought from Jabong. The product was of good quality and definitely worth its cost. The inner lining of the dress was perfect along with the seam stitches and the back zipper.

Yes, I do look forward for another purchase with them any time soon.

If you wish to purchase anything similar like what I did, you can try this link.


P.S.: I am not paid a penny by anybody to write this article, all the content is my own. Though Jabong gifted me a no frill voucher which I used to purchase this dress. For the pictures, I give the credit to my friend Bhavina. Thanks Bhavina!