Monday, January 9, 2012

Aachoo Breakfast

I could rarely recall if at all I have woken up at a standard time every morning to prepare the breakfast for the family. But I used to hear such early morning waking up to prepare not just the breakfast, but the lunch-as-well stories from colleagues at my previous work places. Though it is much more common to hear such tales about the housewives. For me, since the day I have got married, my husband serves me and his mom the bed-tea. At times, he presents the breakfast too. The usual no-fuss ones like sunny sides up, grilled bread, ready-made theplas or the rusks. At certain occasions, he has surprised me with fried rice also. He simply fried the previous night's left over rice with some boiled potatoes and spiced them to a bit for flavour.

I have left my corporate job and now work from home as a freelance information professional and also run my e-commerce craft website. Naturally, these activities leave me with lots of time in hand, which earlier I never used to have. May be lack of time earlier was an internal excuse for me to not wake up early and prepare the meals for the day, which would have served me and my family.  But now also I rarely wake up to greet a "good bye" to my husband, forget waking up and greeting a "good morning" rather. I know it seems very irresponsible, but I am lucky neither my husband nor my mom-in-law has any complaints, rather they never ever had any.

All was moving fine this way till now, since past few days a terrible cold has caught me. It has made my life miserable; I do not get enough sleep, have to force out the accumulated mucus every 10 minutes and cannot talk properly, forget eating. Since, I am a no-medicine person and I hate doctors, so I was on my own medication that emanated from my very own kitchen shelf, that included the honey, crushed pepper corns and ginger juice. Since these are not fats performing medication, so the improvement in my condition has been gradual, but the pain and inconvenience has not dimmed a bit. I have never been a early riser, but this severe cold has made me wake up at 6 since past few days. Also, this is my first actual and proper cold in the past 6-7 years, so I am also taking a little more to get adjusted to it. Since there is nothing to do at that wee hours of the day, so I thought of preparing the breakfast. It is a real time-killer and also takes your mind off the bad cold. Today happened to be the third day of my presenting the break-fast to my family.

The first day I made corn masala rotis which my husband loved. Yesterday I made a Greek salad which has croutons and a lot of veggies. My husband did not like it that much, but still finished it. Today I made a full grain upma. When I asked him for the feedback, he replied that he did not appreciate it much. He did not like the full grain thingy and the taste of peas was little uncooked and the entire consistency of the dish was little soggy. The moment he finished, I realized what was wrong. When you know you are not going to receive something, you are very abiased or unassuming of the entire situation, but the moment you start getting something much more than what you deserve,  you start taking the whole thing for granted.

I have realized this today, and from tomorrow no breakfast preparation, even if my cold keeps me awake the whole night. Husbands should be treated like fellow human beings only. The moment they are served on a platter, they start taking the wife for granted, and from now on I would not even buy the rusk, eggs and theplas. He should learn to fend for his food himself.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. typical multi tasking home maker of INDIA :)in between i am looking some for some freelance job
    DeePaK

    ReplyDelete